Saturday, October 04, 2008

What's in a name? Maybe confidence in a bill...

So the 700 billion dollar plan has been approved. Now we have to see if it will restore confidence to a fragile and jittery financial system. It was touch and go for a while, but I wonder if things would have gone a little more smoothly if some thought had been given to presentation and branding. As a former politician myself, I'm not sure if I could have put my hand up to vote for a "bail-out bill", whatever was in it.

The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) defines bail-out as "an act of giving financial assistance to a failing business to save it from collapse"

On the other hand, the OED definition of rescue is "an act of saving or being saved from imminent danger or distress"

Maybe that's why both presidential candidates are now talking about the "rescue plan". A pity that the politicians on Capitol Hill didn't take a bit of branding advice lat week.

The name that something is known by is very, very important. As Juliet says in Romeo and Juliet "What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.". True my dear, but would people vote for it?

No comments: