Thursday, August 21, 2008

Back in the UK

At last! A whole week at home. Not that I mind travelling, but it's nice to be back with my family with some time to relax. Of course, I've been watching the Olympics, and forgive me if you are a reader from outside the UK, but the chance to do a bit of celebrating, rather than "Oh well, it's the taking part that counts" has been wonderful. I'm really looking forward to 2012, when I'll be able to visit the Olympic Park only 15 minutes from my front door.

TV and radio have been doing a great job in Bejing, though apparently the BBC have a larger team of staff there than Team GB. Maybe the BBC should have marched behind their own flag in the opening ceremony. However, I did detect one sour note. Mihir Bose, the BBC sports editor (and a fine chap, who I have met on several occasions) presented a story headlined "UK Government refuse to add to 2012 Olympic funds"). This story aired on the same day that the GB team won four gold medals. Now I know that when it comes to whingeing, we can often beat the world, but to run these two stories back-to-back was ridiculous. The funding issue wasn't even a real story, since all that was said by "a Government spokesman" was that they thought sufficient funding for 2012 was already in place. Shame on the BBC for a shabby piece of news creation, on a day of celebration.

No comments: