Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Recession? What Recession?

I know, I know, I'm not supposed to use the "R" word (although now some people are even using the "D" word). I recognise that times are getting a little tough. But the news headlines seem only to make things worse. I don't blame the media for this at all (OK, I'm in the media, so I do have to declare an interest). All the media are doing is reporting what surveys and company spokespeople are weeping and wailing about.

Forgive me, but things don't seem that bad. House prices are falling (but unless you are over-mortaged or selling up to move somewhere remote, it doesn't matter that much). Some things are more expensive. But the bars and restaurants still seem to be full, and when I try to book a hotel or airline ticket to go to a speaking gig, I still have to book well in advance to get a place. Even if times do get hard, people will pay for high-quality products and services. So if that's what you offer, you'll be fine. And it is what you offer, isn't it?

No comments: