Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Is it me getting old, or what?

I've been having a bit of trouble with my identity lately. No, it isn't me getting absent-minded. Some swine has stolen my identity and opened a bank account and several credit card accounts in my name. luckily it's all been detected, and no money has been lost.

However, I have been advised ot check my credit records at Experian and Equifax to make sure that everything is in order. Of course, I now have to prove that I am really me (if you see what I mean), and therefore need to supply proof of identity. I received an email from Equifax today, which included this phrase - "...we must first receive a copy of the following documents from you for security purposes. One Statement - Dated within the last eight weeks, addressed to you at your current address. Documents excepted are Utility Bills or Bank Statements."

Note the last sentence about "Documents excepted.." When I went to school, admittedly a few years ago, "excepted" meant "not included". However, what the message is clearly meant to say is "Documents accepted..", in other words exactly the opposite.

The email was clearly written by Humpty Dumpty, who used to say 'When I use a word, it means just what I choose it to mean, neither more nor less.'

Maybe I'm just a bit old and pedantic (but I think not)

No comments: