Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Beam me up, Scotty

I've never really got the hang of Second Life. It's as much as I can do to cope with one life, let alone another one. Nevertheless, I see more and more companies making announcements about opening branches in the virtual world, and even holding events and client meetings there (wherever "there" is). I have ventured a toe into the water, but to me, it still looks like a giant video game. Maybe I'm getting old, or maybe I'm just too rooted in reality to enter a virtual world.

The owners of Second Life (now there's a megalomaniac dream for you - owning your own universe), Linden Lab, have just announced the first ever "teleporting" of an avatar (that's your virtual self) to a different virtual world, run by someone else.

Here's the announcement, which even includes a video of the "historic event". If you want hyperbole, they've got it. Don't beam me up Scotty, I like it right here.

No comments: