Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Alan Stevens 2.0

I've re-branded myself, as you can see from the title of this piece. Don't worry, it's only for a few minutes. I was prompted to do so after receiving a series of promotional emails and direct mail about events, services and products, all of which ended with "2.0". So, I thought, if it's good enough for them...

On reflection, it's just dismal marketing. Here's an example - sportsmarketing 2.0 Oh dear. Tim Berners-Lee would be turning in his grave, except for the fact that he's still very much alive. Even he's getting in on the act - not with 2.0, but with 3.0 Here's what he had to say recently - "People keep asking what Web 3.0 is., I think maybe when you've got an overlay of scaleable vector graphics - everything rippling and folding and looking misty - on Web 2.0 and access to a semantic Web integrated across a huge space of data, you'll have access to an unbelievable data resource."

No, I didn't make that up, that's exactly what he said. Your guess is as good as mine. "Taxi for Mr Berners-Lee..."

No comments: